As you’re getting ready for that big occasion and you’re about t wear make-up, bear in mind that makeup spills and smudges are bound to occur if you’re not careful. Once makeup spills on your lovely dress, you’ll be sourcing for ways to get makeup out of clothes.
Interestingly, we’ve researched and found 10 effective methods you could use to get makeup stains out of clothes easily within a twinkle of an eye.
10 Ways to Get Makeup Out of white or colored clothes
There are a variety of products/substances you could use to make this process fast and simple. Here are the most effective methods you could try.
1. Makeup Wipes
Makeup wipes are used not only to get makeup out of the face but also to get makeup out of your clothes. The truth is this is an old backstage trick where makeup artists at fashion shows, after realizing they’ve smeared something on themselves while trying to protect the models’ clothes, use makeup wipes to clean off the stain. As sneaky as it sounds, it works like magic.
Here’s how to use it:
- Place the stained area of the fabric on a flat surface.
- Grab one of the makeup wipes and use it to rub or blot the stain. Do this gently until the stain fades away.
- It’ll be more appropriate to launder the cloth for a better look.
However, take note that as effective as the wipes are, they could damage the cloth of your fabric, which is colorfast or silky. So, always spot-test the product before applying it to the obvious part of the stain. You wouldn’t want to solve a problem by creating a bigger one, would you?
2. Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is another reliable stain remover. It is most effective in removing lipstick stains because alcohol breaks down waxy and oily stains.
To use it, follow the steps below:
- Soak a cotton ball or the tip of the cloth in rubbing alcohol.
- Use the clothes to rub over the makeup stain.
- Once the stain disappears, place the cloth in the washing machine and begin the laundry process
- Then, you can air or blow dry depending on the fabric type.
3. Shaving Cream
Are you surprised to know that a product like shaving cream could be so effective that it can help get rid of stains? Now, you know.
To use the shaving cream method to get rid of makeup stains on clothes, here’s what to do:
- Place the cloth on a clean flat surface.
- Apply a drop of the cream directly on the cream and allow it to sit for ten minutes.
- During that period, the cream will dissolve the stain.
- Once the ten minutes elapse, wipe the shaving cream with cold water.
- Then, wash the cloth using your washing machine and dry.
4. Blow Dryer
If you love using colored powder on your face, you know how frustrating it can be if it mistakenly smears on your clothes, especially if it’s a brown powder on a piece of white fabric. At this point, if you attempt to wipe it, you’ll be making a great mess that’ll ruin your entire fabric.
Your greatest savior here will be a blow dryer. It’ll save you the frustration. All you just have to do is:
- Get a blow dryer
- If it’s electric-based, plug it into a power source and begin blasting the powder off your fabric.
Hairspray can also help to get makeup out of clothes. Here’s what you need to do:
- Apply hairspray onto the stain and allow it to dry.
- When the hairspray dries, wipe the spot with a wet cloth. Note that only alcohol-based hair sprays can remove stains. The alcohol-free hairsprays can’t work here.
- Lastly, put the dress in the washing machine. Wash and dry.
6. Ice Cubes
Applying ice cubes is another way to get makeup out of clothes. It works effectively because cold water and ice do a great job of breaking stains. But, using hot water can cause the stain to spread. Avoid using hot water at any step when trying to get makeup stains out of clothes. However, you can only use hot water during the washing process.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Get a cube of ice and vigorously rub it on the stains
- Keep rubbing until the stain fades away
- Then, put it in the washing machine and begin to wash. You can choose to add hot water.
7. Soap and Water
If all you’ve got is just soap and water, you can still use them to remove makeup stains from clothes. It works well too.
Here’s all you have to do:
- Instead of using a napkin or paper towel, dab cold water and little soap on the stain
- Then, rub the fabric against itself, allowing the friction to lift the stain. The rubbing works better than using a paper product, as it can flake off and leave the fabric smeared with white bits. Plus, it’ll make the stained area look worse, except you can do a proper washing as soon as possible.
8. Detergent Wipes and Detergent Pens
These products are specifically designed to clean stains. Detergent pens can be reused and are safe to use on almost all clothes, including those labeled “dry clean only.”
Similarly, detergent wipes such as Shout Wipe and Go are also effective. You should have them in your purse for emergency use (like getting a liquid foundation out of clothes).
They are as efficient as detergent pens, except that the stain-removing solution is soaked in a wipe rather than applied using a pen. They’re always great to have on hand when you need an immediate solution for how to remove liquid foundation from clothes quickly (and all other makeup stains).
Follow the steps below to use these products to get rid of stains completely:
- For the best result, ensure you blot off any excess gunk off the cloth before applying the detergent pen.
- When you press the pen’s tip into the fabric, the detergent solution will come out.
- Rub the tip of the detergent pen against the cloth until the stain starts to fade away.
- Then, wipe off any extra solution.
9. Lemon Juice and Baking Soda Paste
Baking soda and lemon juice work wonders when it comes to removing lipstick stains from clothes. The acid in the lemon juice breaks up the lipstick, making its removal process easy. Follow the steps below:
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice and baking soda each to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste directly onto the lipstick stain and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Put the stained clothing in your washing machine and launder it as usual.
- Allow the piece of clothing to dry in the sun.
It’s surprising many people still do not know about this powerful laundry solution. Use OxiClean MaxForce Laundry Stain Remover Spray on the affected areas; this powerful stain remover can be used to remove any stains from makeup.